Monday, August 01, 2005

S.M.A.R.T. Goals!

Brian Tracy, an expert in human achievement says, "Goal setting is the master skill of success."

Setting juggling goals for myself has been the greatest single training technique I've used. It has forced me to focus my effort and use my training time effectively. Everything I do in practice is geared toward the achievement of my long-range juggling goals. Not one minute is wasted.

A great way to set goals is to use the S.M.A.R.T. system. I'll explain briefly...

Specific: Vague goals bring vague results. Be specific!

I will learn 3 new tricks. (not specific)
I will learn Mill's Mess, Columns & Reverse Cascade. (specific!)

Measureable: Count catches or cycles of patterns to measure progress.

I will be able to complete 3 cycles of each pattern.

Acceptable: You need to set your own goals for them to be motivating.

Realistic: Set goals you can achieve and are within reach.

If you are a beginner, start with 3 balls before learning 4 balls, etc.

Time Bound: Give yourself a time frame to accomplish your goals.

I will learn 5 ball cascade in 6 months.

~Ed

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Stephen Newton said...

Too cool, Ed. I've applied similar visualization techniques in teh martial arts. I was introduced to juggling a few years ago by some friends. I got a video kit called "more balls than most" that was a great help.

You've inspired me to go beyond three balls. Thanks. Keep on bloggin'

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger krballboy said...

Ah~!
I had seen your aim table of a year
but i don't see 2009 Goal.
it seems that you still have stress about juggling spot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home