Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tossaball Hybrid Juggle Balls


In mid January I got a hold of some new balls (pictured above) called the Tossaball Hybrid Juggle Balls made by Jim at the Flying Clipper in Oregon, USA. To start off my review of these, I'll post information about them that come from the maker.


These balls are constructed with two layers of cover material with crushed quartz trapped in between the layers. They should prove to be stronger than all other handmade balls. Because of the “composite” layers of material, these balls will also hold there shape better than any other ball in its class. The crushed quartz filler trapped on the outside of the ball gives this ball some unique qualities. It should stall very well and also roll very well. The physics of heavy filler on the outside rim of the ball also give this ball very true and predictable flight. We use plastic pellets for the interior filler of the ball, which insures that most of the weight will remain on the outside portion of the ball. Another great attribute to these balls is that they are machine washable and dryable.

On to the review.

I can't speak about the specific process of manufacturing or of the physics of flight involved with this kind of ball because I don't know anything about the two aspects, but I can speak about my experiences juggling it over the last 2.5 months.

These balls are 2.8" and 130 grams and have 12 panels. Cost is $15 a ball. Out of the box, you will recognize their excellent craftsmanship, even if like me, you know nothing about making juggling balls. The balls are packed tight, giving them a solid feel in the hand.

I prefer a less tightly packed ball as it makes it easier for me to catch. So I immediately began using the heal of my foot on top of the ball while on the floor so I could stretch the material to my satisfaction.

I had been strictly using my Juggling Thingies by John Nord for a couple of years up to this point, so I think it's important to talk about them. These balls are supposed to be 2.75" and 130 grams, but I think they are closer to 3" and 120 grams. Anyways, they are a little bigger and lighter than the Hybrids.

Changing to the Hybrids has had a huge benefit to my juggling. I have found that I prefer the smaller and heavier ball. I am having much fewer collisions and more success throwing multiplexes and making catches.

Just yesterday, I washed them for the first time and they came out of the wash looking good.

In summary, I recommend these balls to anyone looking for a durable, handmade, machine washable, juggling bag.

5 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

would you recommend the bigger or the smaller size for 5 ball and up? I think I'm going to go for smaller but I'm really not sure...

Thanks!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Ed Provencher said...

From my experience, smaller balls make doing higher numbers (5+) easier. I'm sure plenty of people use large balls for 5-7b, so it all depends on you. What are you comfortable with? I prefer the original hybrids because they are smaller and because they are a little more solid in the hands which helps me do multiplexes. I love doing multiplexes.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol yeah I like doing multiplexes too. I'm going to go with smaller white ones, except I have a white ceiling so I'm a little worried they'll get a little lost up there when I'm doing 360s and stuff.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Ed Provencher said...

I hear ya. Color is a tough thing to choose. I've always admired the way white balls look, but have never bought them. I juggle indoors and outdoors and find that red is different enough from any color found indoors on walls or ceilings and from colors found outdoors. I'm glad you like multiplexes. I've got a 4b multiplex video linked to in my sidebar... have you seen it?

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ended up getting the 2.55" smaller size (in white) and they're amazing I've never had a juggling prop that I like this much. Thanks for your help!

-Tony

 

Post a Comment

<< Home