Thursday, December 22, 2005

WJF II (Briefly)

I had intended on writing about the WJF event while I was there but I didn't feel like doing it because the wireless internet signal gave my laptop some problems. So I'll write a brief overview of what happened.

First off, I got to talk with Thomas Dietz on the first day and after the finals. I've learned that he is as fun to be around as his videos are to watch and he is the best juggler I've ever seen. Thomas won the advanced balls division without anyone coming close to his skill level. Thomas won the advanced rings and looked as if he should have won the advanced clubs division. Based on some rules about "connections" in your routine, and Vova Galchenko's ability to string together 8 moves with "connections" using only 3 clubs, Vova stole the gold medal from Thomas. Most people were upset with the outcome, but rules are rules. I'm certain that the WJF will reflect on what happened and make the necessary changes.

Ben Thompson, the 16 year old who won the beginner balls division, could have competed in the advanced division based on his routine in the beginner division. Next year he moves up to the intermediate division based on the age cut-off for beginner (under 17). He will be a contender for gold next year.

Doug Sayers, the 17 year old who won the intermediate balls division, had one of the cleanest performances of all. Doug is a solid juggler and a great guy. Look for Doug to contend for first place again in intermediate next year (if he doesn't move up to advanced).

A notable performance came from Chris Fowler in the advanced balls division. I particularly liked the way he presented himself on stage. He made some drops during a difficult routine and maintained a positive attitude throughout. I'm looking forward to seeing Chris compete again next year.

I was surprised to see that Ivan Pacel was the only competitor in the box division. The competition was not held for that event because of it.

I met some great people from all over the country and all over the world. I learned some new tricks and taught some new tricks. I had a good time and I'm trying to figure out how to save enough money for next years event, WJF III.

Quote of the Day
If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, was at the WJF. It was a very fun convention. I wish there was a way for juggling bloggers to know each other at these things so they could say hi to each other.

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, given that many folks didn't say "hi" to one another, I'm almost thinking some form of name badge might be useful for everyone involved... it could even be tied in to the room pass and all that crap... I know, the idea of everyone wearing a laminate or sticker is marginal at best, but it may be useful for those who aren't superstars, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home