Thursday, September 29, 2005

I do the things I can't do.

Juggling is absurd. At least that's what I say to myself whenever I start to get upset about not making progress on my juggling goals.

Here I am throwing a bunch of things into the air while trying to make them move in patterns. As soon as I learn one pattern I go and try to learn another one, often more difficult. It's absurd! Absolutely ridiculous. But I love it.

After I've reminded myself of how nonsensical what I'm doing is, I can usually laugh at myself and continue juggling without getting too pissed off.

Another way I've found to motivate myself to keep trying seemingly out of reach tricks is to paraphrase a quote I came across from the famous artist Pablo Picasso.
I do the things I can't do, that's how I get to do them.

Seriously, the next time you start to practice a trick that is way out of your reach and you begin to wonder why... repeat that little phrase once or twice.

Not only then but also whenever you decide to do something in life that is different than what you've been doing, something that seems way out of reach like public speaking or selling.

No professional was born with the high skills you see them with now. They had to do the things they couldn't do first.

So say it to yourself and say it to the people who stand by watching you do the absurd.
I do the things I can't do, that's how I get to do them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home