Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Juggling Flow

This is now an old concept. I believe my strategy of slump switching takes advantage of this psychological phenomena. A few threads exist about it on rec.juggling. I came across this article on ToddStrong.com describing the application of the concept of flow to juggling. I'm not going to summarize it, but I will point you to it. It's right here.

One thing I agree with from the article is that changing props during practice can help you stay between anxiety and boredom. If balls aren't going well, switch to clubs. If clubs aren't going well, switch to boxes, etc. The goals is to find a prop and a goal that engages your attention. This is when juggling is most rewarding and your skill level improves. It's a strategy that allows you to stay engaged with the practice rather being frustrated or bored.

Matt Hall told me that this is how he approaches his own practices. It's no surprise that he is so good at boxes, diabolo, balls, clubs, and tennis ball and can.

Quote of the Day
Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills. ~Minna Antrim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home