Sunday, June 04, 2006

Slump Switching Update

Back in April I decided to try a different approach to practicing I call Slump Switching.

I had been focusing solely on developing my bean bag juggling skills using either my Sport Co. juggling balls or my Juggling Thingies. What I found was that I seemed to be juggling worse and worse. My new strategy for improving my bean bag juggling was to stop bean bag juggling altogether and do other forms of juggling.

In all honesty, I picked up my bean bags a few times with dismal results before I finally put them away. I did continue to practice with balls, but I used 100mm Mister Babache and 72mm Mister Babache stage balls. The 100mm are huge and gave me a wonderful new challenge... to make my patterns bigger and to use my fingertips more when catching the balls. Both of these techniques have proven useful.

I didn't use the rings except for a couple of performances with OSU Jugglers. I did practice tennis ball and can a little. I did practice clubs a little and did some passing. And I did do a lot of contact with my new 3" acrylic and my 100mm Mister Babache balls. I didn't do any box juggling because my boxes have been tied up at Dube's store because of a custom order. All in all, the variety did allow me to distract myself sufficiently from bean bags.

I've recently been juggling my Sport Co. balls again and I have seen a great imporvement in my bean bag juggling skills. I'm starting to feel like I'm at the level I expected to be at after 2.5 years of juggling. I'm confident again that I will reach my 3 year goals. The fruit of persistence is sweet indeed.

Quote of the Day
What is the difference between an obstacle and an opportunity? Our attitude toward it. Every opportunity has a difficulty, and every difficulty has an opportunity. ~J. Sidlow Baxter

1 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed.
Glad to see you blogging and juggling. I remember what a great student you were in my course. You've found a great tool that will allow you to write and not mess with code. I recommend blog systems for most of my clients now.
Keep in touch.
Pam Van Londen
Instructor of Women Studies and Computer Science
OSU
vanlondp@onid.orst.edu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home