Friday, August 18, 2006

O$U Juggler$


The OSU Jugglers Club has been making money opening up for an outdoor theatre production of Romeo & Juliet. We were invited to perform by the director, Scott Palmer, and given permission to pass the hat. So far, we've made $499 in 5 shows that have lasted at most 25 minutes each! We have three more shows to go. At this rate, we are on our way to breaking the $800 mark.

There has been some discussion about how to spend the money that the club is making. One of the instructors, maybe both, I believe are pushing for buying club equipment. I am agianst this idea. I do not believe club equipment is necessary. We all own enough equipment to share with newbies. The one exception to buying club equipment is buying a portable speaker and wireless microphone system to be used at shows.

It would be better to use the money to give club members "insurance" for their props. That is, if a prop breaks during practice, the club will pay to repair or replace it.

Another thing this money is suited for is to host a juggling festival. This is what I was planning on doing, however, I am leaving the country in a few weeks to teach English abroad and I do not know if the remaining members of OSU Jugglers are going to put the effort into making the festival a reality.

I'm realizing as I write this how difficult it is for me to let go of being the guy with the vision for this club. I've invested myself into it and now necessity requires I be removed.

Quote of the Day
Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. ~Jane Howard

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Perry said...

Good luck overseas. If you get bored practicing site swaps and the 5b cascade, you might consider relaxing with a bit of joggling

I like your site so I linked you on mine. I'll keep tuning in for your interesting juggling advice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home