Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Practice Sessions Are Going Well

My last few practice sessions have been going well. I've noticed that my enjoyment is related to me NOT recording my attempts in my record log.

I know it's important to keep track of how much progress you're making on any goal, but sometimes it's good to take a break from the focus or change the focus.

Since I've moved indoors to practice over the last couple of weeks I've been able to:
  1. Make my goals for certain tricks harder to increase my motivation (counter-intuitive, but works)
  2. Stopped recording my "best runs" in my record log, I'm recording ideas on scratch paper instead
  3. Increased playfulness, following inspirations instead of the record log's list o' moves
  4. Increased practice of routines & connections which makes all that damn rote drill & kill practice look like it's paying off and is a lot of fun.
  5. Found optimal training time, 1.5 hours... just after a good 10-30 minute bike or run warm-up.

I really think that changing directions in training is important becuase it allows you to focus on different skills. I've transitioned from doing hardcore discrete skill building to holistic integration of routines and connections.

I believe this is a natural progression of my training and my long term goals that are deeply embedded in my subconscious mind by now. I will likely follow this holistic path for much of my trianing into the the spring as I perfect routines to be used in next summer's street shows and festival events. I won't trash my drills entirely... I'll just have to recreate them to fit my needs as they are now. I'll let you know about that later....

Quote of the Day

Whatever your discipline, become a student of excellence in all things. Take every opportunity to observe people who manifest the qualities of mastery. The models of excellence will inspire you and guide you toward the fulfillment of your highest potential. ~Tony Buzan

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was doing some research for class, and found your blog. I am finishing up yet another psychology degree this year, and it happens to be in sport and exercise psychology. It was interesting to read how you are applying it. As a Performance Enhancement Consultant I know that it is rare to find someone as enthused as you are about the application of these techniques. Very Cool!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home