Sunday, September 10, 2006

Follow Your Bliss

Do you remember the TV show "The Greatest American Hero"? The song goes "believe it or not, I'm walking on air, never thought I could fly so high, high, high!" or something like that. Well, believe it or not I'm planning a juggling convention.

We are calling it the Pacific Northwest Juggling Convention and it is going to be held on March 23-25, 2007 at Oregon State University. Thinking about what needs to be done and attending to the details has consumed much of my spare time. It's work, but it's work that feels good to me. I like to think that I contribute to the community and this is one way for me to do that.

Most of the people I have dealt with so far have been at least supportive, and some have gone out of their way to help contribute their resources and time. I've had some really funny luck with projects that I've started in the juggling world. It seems that the right people appear to help at the right time in the right way. It's almost like lots of stuff gets done effortlessly. Reminds me of a quote by Joseph Campbell.

Taken from the Joseph Campbell Foundation webpage:

BILL MOYERS: Do you ever have the sense of... being helped by hidden hands?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time - namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.
* * *
My general formula for my students is "Follow your bliss." Find where it is, and don't be afraid to follow it. --Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth, pp. 120, 149


I have a feeling I'm on track right now.

3 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Perry said...

The Greatest American Hero is the greatest TV show ever produced! There has never and will never be a better one.

Incidentally, when I did the New York marathon last year I ran in a Greatest American Hero outfit (complete with a cape). I know, I'm attention starved.

Good luck with the juggling fest.

Just Your Average Joggler

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Ed Provencher said...

You have to post some photos of that. :-)

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of this sounds really exciting... (in regards to the prospective convention) i would definately make the trip up from southern california... keep up the motivating posts too!! thanks :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home