Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Korea: Juggling Indoors?

Recently, I'm feeling the stress of being a juggler in Korea. The rainy season is about to begin which means rain will come on a daily basis for 2-3 months. This means I will have to do the majority of my juggling indoors.

I went to the local YMCA to ask permission to juggle on the basketball court and was denied. I don't think I have the courage to practice 5 clubs in a subway station, so I may be Shit-Out-of-Luck (S.O.L.) as my dad is fond of saying.

I really enjoy being in Korea for the food, women, cultural learning, language learning, and random adventures, but I HATE that Korea has almost no indoor gymnasiums where a juggler can practice. Listen to foreigners here complain about Korea, and you won't meet many others who put this complaint at the top of the list.

I will continue to juggle in the rainy season, but I will be limited to what and where I practice. For example, I know I can go to my employer's headquarters builing and do bounce practice. I haven't posted photos of it, but in the same building there is a stairwell that is large enough to practice 7 bean bags and is not used frequently by people.

I hope to find a place to practice cigar boxes. Those can be very loud so headquarters won't like it if I practice those. No problem with contact juggling. The big and most upsetting change is that I will have less opportunity to practice club juggling.

I really miss the luxury of have a year round juggling practice area.


This is a photo of the facility I used in Corvallis, Oregon for 2 years. Looking at this photo now makes me so incredibly homesick.

Quote of the Day

Where we love is home, Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., Homesick in Heaven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home